View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I tend to approach things in terms of reps. Adding a rep every 2-3 weeks is still good progress. Adding a rep every other week still adds up to a 40-50 pound ish gain on a lift per year.

Once you are progressing slower than that you really have to trust the process and look at things as yearly goals. You also have to stop dicking around in a sense and start getting a bit more focused.

Like checking the log books from the past year to see what is really working and what isn't working. We can get away with a lot as intermediate lifters, meaning you often see guys say "that wasn't working well" when it actually added 20 pounds to their squat in 10 weeks.

You need to look for things that were working and maybe return to them, making necessary adjustments.

This approach can also help you to analyze what isn't working any longer. Sometimes we miss the big red flags. For example, I never trained over 85% because I was into "muscle building". I hit a good stall on my squats and bench for over a year. It wasn't until I started training with heavier weight that I started to see some progress again.

Complicated question. Not sure I added much. A lot of this just comes down to patience, persistence, and intelligent tinkering. My goal this year is to add 50 pounds to my 3 lift total. That's a lot of training for little return, but if you want to see progress it's the journey you have to take.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote