BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes that's a good general rule for muscle builders. My program has one exercise and generally one set/rep per day.

I haven't been building muscle the last 4 years. I've been powerlifting with no assistance work. I don't want to attempt a cut doing only two working reps per week on squats, etc. because I do not believe that is the best way to maintain muscle tissue. Understand that I have been losing arm size from lack of arm work, and probably some size on other muscle groups as well from lack of focus. My arms dipped from 19.25" to 18.5" during the last 18-24 months on my simplified strength program.

Quite frankly I simply haven't cared about maintaining size the last 4 years. Now, during my cut, I want to.

The style of training I do is rather extreme. It's not worried about maintaining muscle mass on the smaller muscle groups in the least.
What I am getting from this:
You have been doing a specialized strength program, with low working volume. And a program this specialized toward strength and increasin 1rm is not conducive to your goals while cutting.
This makes sense to me. Thank you for addressing my question.

Myself not being an advanced/elite lifter and not understanding what it is to do or need such a specialized program, I couldn't understand why the change was necessary.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote