View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I'm confused. I have seen it proclaimed all along that if one was wanting to cut, they wouldn't need to change there routine, only there diet. And that heavy low reps actually prevent muscle loss.
I know this is a simplified statement that I made(sorry), in light of such a cerberal discussion, but is this not true?
Yes that's a good general rule for muscle builders. My program has one exercise and generally one set/rep per day.

I haven't been building muscle the last 4 years. I've been powerlifting with no assistance work. I don't want to attempt a cut doing only two working reps per week on squats, etc. because I do not believe that is the best way to maintain muscle tissue. Understand that I have been losing arm size from lack of arm work, and probably some size on other muscle groups as well from lack of focus. My arms dipped from 19.25" to 18.5" during the last 18-24 months on my simplified strength program.

Quite frankly I simply haven't cared about maintaining size the last 4 years. Now, during my cut, I want to.

The style of training I do is rather extreme. I wasn't worried about maintaining muscle mass on the smaller muscle groups in the least.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-18-2013 at 12:50 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote