13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
I'd love to elaborate more!

Firstly, I'd like to edit that comment. I shouldn't just assume most of the forum is "American" style of training. It's still a small sample size I've yet to see! Anyway, from what I've seen on the internet, technique on the squat can essentially be broken into two techniques or styles.

1) American. This is the style popularized by Louie Simmons and Westside Barbell, where you break at the hips, sit back, and don't let the knee travel over the toes. Now, this is obviously difficult when squatting raw, but the American approach still tries to limit the knee traveling. Most of what I've read on the internet is this style of squatting, as most websites are American and promoting a westside type squat.

2) Russian/European/Whatever. This style of squat allows for you to almost break at the knees and hips simultaneously and sit down. Your knees will travel farther forward, and you'll get a ton more quad activation. If you're squatting a lot, you might get a bit of pain underneath your knee cap, but that's from your quads tightening up. You won't blow a kneecap out anytime soon, so don't worry lol. Here's a video of someone sitting down instead of back:

Malanichev. SQUAT. The 2nd hard workout in the new season. 28 february 2011. - YouTube

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but from personal experience the "Russian" style of squatting is far superior WHEN RAW. I have a lot easier time getting depth, it feels more natural, and overall has been beneficial for my squat. I took a hit in numbers for about a month, but I've since caught up and love it. Does that help? I can try to explain better if needed.
Thanks Paradox! The vid helped a lot with what you were saying. I have a hard time with depth, and it seems when I break at the hips first, I start to lean a little forward from the very beginning. I would also note that I high bar squat to try to help with the leaning issue.
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote