View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
5kgLifter:

Other than conditioning and general fat loss, what effects are you noticing on your physique from these repetitions over time? Front delt? traps? glutes? etc.
Well, swings hammer the hammies and glutes, though a lot of people are unaware of it, they also work better than kegel exercises (so I've read).

The snatch has more whack on the system than the swing because it employs so much more overall power to get overhead than the swing which stops at shoulder height. The snatch does blast the front delts but because it also takes the KB overhead the rear delts and the overall shoulder girdle get a workout, and strangely it also helps with mobility because the shoulder is being repeatedly moved through the entire range quite a number of times.

Both movements, the swing and the snatch, hit the forearms hard due to the ballistic nature of the movements, and though I can't say for sure, I have read that it helps with increasing grip power...so it will also help with the DL.

The snatch being a combo, in a sense, of a 1-arm swing in to an overhead move, will also affect the glute more so than many glute exercises; it was tested and the 1-arm swing was seen to ellicit a higher than 100% muscle contraction in the opposite glute (I believe) during the movement than such as the GHR set-up...there is a good reason and explanation for it but I'd have to try and find it and I have no idea where I read it.

Hopefully some of that answered your question, in part, at least.