Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

We've got an angry Fazc today, lol! You're right, I agree with your post. I'm bummed that it couldn't be discussed over a beer, face to face. Sounds like a blast!

I generally hate terms like "functional fitness", but damnit, I think it applies in this case. One of the things I found interesting during my Army training was both doing and watching others do obstacle courses. I saw people who just could not handle themselves. There are people out there who are WAY stronger than I am with a bar in their hands, but when you actually have to get out there and move your body around, things change. There are movements that bridge the gap, that make us stronger while also helping us develop the ability to use our bodies in different applications.

I think pullups, dips, lunges, sprints, jumps, and sled pulls can be helpful for almost anyone. The exception would be someone doing highly specialized training who doesn't want to waste energy and recovery on movements that don't give enough bang for your buck, but I'd bet that even most of the people who think they fall into that category actually don't. Personally, I use them all.