View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Chicken every day Homie!
BigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite memberBigJosh is an elite member

I'm not doing dips because when I do them it hurts my shoulder and prevents me for months at a time from doing other lifts.

While not doing dips I am currently anything but stagnate as a lifter, particularly on the upper body lifts that would be assisted by the dip. I continue to progress on both my bench press and over head press.
However, if I did do dips and jacked up my shoulder, like I did the last 2 times I programmed them, I would not be able to Over head press or bench press. Then I would be stagnate.

I don't feel this is a natural movement. Pushing something up overhead is a natural movement. Picking up something heavy from the ground is a natural movement. Putting my arms to the side and behind me and pressing is not IMO. And I don't feel like I am losing a thing by not doing them.

For the sake of discussion I ask, what if I try to fix them? How would I go about that without putting myself at risk for an unnecessary injury? And most importantly, if I did take that risk, what would I really gain? I would gain another useful assistance exercise, yes, but would my bench press and overhead press show dramatic improvement vs the other assistance exercises I am currently using?

That's my logic about the situation. I just wanted to explain more thoroughly. I am not an author or expert, but this is an attempt from an average joe to explain himself.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 01-05-2013 at 12:29 AM.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote