View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

It really depends on what you're considering "assistance" work.

For example my monday bench session has been:
Bench- up to 3 rep max
3 board up to 3 rep max
2 board up to 3 rep max
1 board up to 3 rep max
Declines 5 sets of 5 up to a max 5 rep

Heavy shrugs for sets of 20
curls for 3 sets of 10ish
Light shoulder raises for high reps

This is basic metal militia bench training. What do you consider assistance work in this setup? Board work? Declines? Shrugs and curls?

The only light exercise is curls and shoulder raises...

I guess it all depends on how your body responds. If you can only recover from one heavy movement per workout, then train that way as long as you're making progress.

I've personally pushed SOOO far beyond what i used to be able to recover from. I dont think people really understand the ability to adapt. I do more bench volume in one workout than some people do in 3 weeks, and i'm not "assisted"... i eat 2-3 LARGE meals a day and dont take any fancy supplements.

Experiment, log everything. If something works, keep at it til you squeeze all the goodie out of it and then make the changes necessary to keep progressing. If you try somethin and it doesnt work, drop it. Dont keep doing the same thing if it doesnt work. Or you could just eat more and basically anything will work. Lol.

Last edited by Disciple X; 01-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote