BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Thanks for all the great replies. There were some really good points made that I think were helpful.
And thanks to everyone who wished me a speedy back recovery. It's been sore, especially in the AM, but I was able to OHP today. Tomorrow will be the real test when I attempt to squat. I am not sure what to expect, but I will err on the side of caution if there is any pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Hope the back heals quickly.

How heavy did you start the new lift? I tend to start any new lift with really easy weights.

Did you start with a rep max? Every time Wendler has two main lifts using the 5/3/1 progression, one of the lifts is "required reps only".
I started the new lift at 90% of my 1rm as recommended with a new lift when doing 5/3/1.
And I will be doing only required reps.

Based on the replies, I am thinking of three options:
1.) Instead of doing GMs on squat day do them on deadlift day.
2.)Instead of doing GMs, do SLDLs and do them on deadlift day.
3.) Drop the GMs all together.

Right now I'm leaning towards just dropping them. A great point was made that I can't add a whole other exercise and not drop something else. That along with a few experienced guys who said they don't do them for the same reason.
However, I still am somewhat concerned that I will not be getting enough hamstring work. Although maybe I shouldn't be....

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote