Thread: Squat recovery
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

One of the mistakes I made when trying to squat, or lift more frequently in general, was trying to do too much each day. It took me nearly a year to grasp frequency training. I was trying to take the "once a week" mentality and apply it to ever workout.

The main thing I learned was that it required some time to build into frequency. When I dialed the volume down each day my recovery improved dramatically.

We are each different, obviously. Regarding gear training and supra-human loads, I'm not sure frequency would work well. I can see the need to form practice, ala Westside's DE day. Form practice has really helped me on the big lifts.

Raw I think it's a manner of keeping the volume in check and allowing time for conditioning, mental and physical. After nearly 2 years of frequently squatting I could move to 6x a week if I wanted too. It feels that natural, with limited recovery issues.

So I guess my main advice if you squat more frequently is just to go in and base your workout on how you feel that day, but never allowing yourself to do "too much". If you feel great, build up to a slightly heavier single. On off days, do what you can.

When I went in with predetermined levels to hit it never worked as well. I always had a minimum single I would shoot for, and then higher when I felt good. Over time, as my conditioning grew, I almost always was training with heavier singles.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote