Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Does anyone think doing the 3 sets of Squats at 50% on deadlift day will have a negative effect on improving my Squats?
Not necessarily negative, frequent squats can be very educational. Now I haven't read all the responses but what I'm going to recommend might not jive with the 5/3/1 line. But it's my opinion and I'm going to give it to you anyway!

If you can't squat 3 times a week without crippling soreness/injury/crying then you're a prime candidate for some remedial work. It's highly likely that you have some squat issues to work through.

People are very fond of saying Squats are a natural movement. But far, far less fond of actually promoting squats in any frequency which may seem 'natural'. As in daily, or at least 3 times per week. One of the main reasons is that over the 'net we only give secondary consideration to exercise form. Primary consideration is given to programming and to progression. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing to work on progression, but the over-riding factor in whether you succeed in your endeavours or not is certainly not your routine. As long as you're hitting the basics then stuff generally works. The over-riding factor is whether you can do the lift in a safe manner and correctly. After that pretty much anything goes, but the reason people don't make the progress they should do is because they skimp out on actually learning what proper form is and conditioning themselves to lift heavy and often.

Take what I did over the weekend, I hit 420 or whatever it was on Saturday and despite that being a pretty maximal lift for where I am now, I went back and hit 425 on Sunday. Now I wouldn't recommend doing that every week but it does at least show that I've put in enough work on that exercise that it is natural to me. That is what you need to be aiming for. Steve can do that if he wishes, he know's Squats and has squatted daily before. His form is also so smooth that he can actually get very strong now.

So back to the over riding point. Yes, I would encourage you to squat again in the week, I would even encourage you to squat three days per week at your level. Just don't kill yourself each time you do it. Keep the reps crisp and keep fatigue low. If the squats cripple you in all the wrong places then you know you have some work to do to make it natural. But when you do finally get that form right, watch your numbers and physique sky rocket.

If there ever was a secret, it's that.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote