View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post

[A thought-provoking post.]

I read the link to Texas vs Johnson. Interesting. I'm always fascinated by the importance that many people in the USA place in their flag. Other Brits on here may disagree, but I don't think we have any thing approaching that.

Quote:
Soldiers give up freedoms to protect the freedoms of others.

Soldiers exist to risk their lives for others, to protect the civilian population. Soldiers die so civilians don't have to die. Soldiers die to protect civilians who hold them in contempt.
Is that not a slightly rosy view of things? Some soldiers lay down their lives to protect freedoms - certainly - but a lot more lay down their lives for the territorial or economic ambitions of their countries. I disagree with DW that none of the conflicts since WWI were defences of freedom, but I think many of them weren't.

Soldiers in many conflicts attack rival civilian populations. I guess you mean 'so that the civilians of their own population don't have to die?'

And I don't think that the majority of the population hold soldiers in contempt at all. Quite the opposite. I'd say they are lauded more now than any time in the last 60 years. No public figure in the UK would dare to criticise soldiers - they would be really pilloried for it, and I bet that's true in the US too.

Nothing against the military, and not saying those in it don't deserve our respect, but I think the view they're always defending freedom is over-reaching a bit.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links