View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Pushing for a rep you don't have the strength to complete is certainly more taxing on many of the body's systems. We tend to look only at the muscular system, but you also have to account for the CNS, connective tissue, etc. There is a greater chance of form breaking down as well, depending on the lift and the discipline of the lifter.

So yes, all things equal you're pushing everything harder. That doesn't necessarily mean better. The upside/downside ratio of training to failure on that lift has to be weighed.

If you believe in the school that says you have to annihilate the body each session then you're probably training to failure. I am not from that school, not do I believe in training annihilation. But that wasn't your question, so excuse my interjection. There are many from that school and they are pretty big, so it certainly works as a tool.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-19-2012 at 09:41 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote