Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Consistency is a huge issue. That's obvious answer A. Once in the gym and training consistently the next huge stumbling block is wet noodle training. Limp. No fire. Putting in work. Progression? Eh, sometimes.
This is so. Consistent effort over time gets results. The "consistent" part comes first, because if you don't do the thing it doesn't matter how great or crap it is.

But the "effort" part matters. That doesn't mean smashing yourself, but it does mean... well, progressive resistance training means we should... um... progress the resistance. Do more weight, or more reps, or more sets.

Few people show up consistently. Fewer still progress the resistance. In fact, some of the most inconsistent people are most keen on progressing the resistance. And an even smaller number put in the time required.

Some examples of people I've worked with.

GC, 22yo, 70kg female, healthy. Did 1 PT session a week for 18 months. Max deadlift 60kg.
RS, 64yo 56kg female, herniated discs in her back. Does 1 PT session a week for 6 months. Max deadlift 75kg.

Why the difference? Why could an older smaller woman with a bad back do more in 6 months than a younger larger woman with a healthy back could do in 18 months? Consistency. RS came reliably for our PT sessions, and repeated the workouts on her own 2-3 times each week. GC dropped the PT sessions whenever anything else came up and did not much on her own, never followed any routine given.

PV, 35yo 80kg male, healthy. Refused PT "I'd like to try to do it myself for a while." I started him off with 40kg squats. "I know it's easy, add 2.5kg a week." Two workouts later he was squatting 80kg. Next week he never squatted again. The effort was too great, he couldn't do it over time. He need more than one week to go from a 40 to 80kg squat.

Consistent effort over time gets results. Both GC's and PV's behaviours are very common in gym-goers with no coach (GC had me as a coach, but you can't get through to everyone). They come irregularly and eventually drift off, or come with an initial burst of enthusiasm, push themselves stupidly hard, then never come again.

The consistent part is important.
The effort part is important.
The time part is important, too.
Consistent effort over time gets results. This is simple, not easy.

Last edited by Kyle Aaron; 11-19-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Kyle Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote