View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc8d View Post
I was talking to a friend the other day who told me of a family that she knows that has issues. They have 3 kids, and the youngest one is 2 1/2. The parents are so busy with their lives that he is taken to daycare at 6 am and then picked up at 6 at night and then taken to grandma's where he stays until 9 or 10, and then is taken home while sleeping and placed in his own bed. Anyway, the parents have decided that he needs to be on ritalin and the doc okayed it. What is that doc doing thinking it is ok to put a child like this on ritalin. How about we look at his home life first. I know that he is a holy terror but give the kid a chance. He is never home and just does not have the home life he needs or deserves. It really is a shame.
There was a big study done of the effects of day care in the US in the 1990s. It was the NICHD. They looked at over a thousand kids and assessments were made by parents, teachers, psychologists and centre workers.

One finding was that kids who spent more than 20 hours a week in day care before the age of 12 months were more aggressive and less socially skilled. This was irrespective of the quality of care.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive because you would think they learn to get on with other kids better if they spend more time with them..but that's not what they found.

So time away from his parents may be another factor to throw into the mix.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote