View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Yeah, I so desperately wish they had bumper plates in my gym. I went for a vacation to India sometime back and went to my old college gym (which I had never used when I was in college, lol). That's a ghetto gym, but in a good way - all they had was squat racks, benching stations, barbells, dumbbells and a bunch of bumper plates. Dropping the bar after presses and cleans was fun

Here after the cleans and presses, I try to lower the bar with minimal control and catch it over my quads and then lower it as I would do for deads. Takes quite a bit out of me, but hey, at least this way, the pump in biceps and forearms after cleans and presses is awesome

I am in better shape here, since there are 9 power racks. But when school is in session and the gym is crowded, I have to do without the racks and lift on the open floor. I used to do higher rep front squats on those days, by cleaning the weight to my shoulders first. You could give this a try, but then as you put it down, you will need to catch the weight on your quads and then lower it slowly, if you dont want to drop the weights.
The weird thing is the Fitness Centre here has those plastic/vinyl coated plates, not even open metal...not sure how they fare when dropped, I assume they could crack but I dunno. If half of you came to the place, you'd run out of plates way before you managed to overload the barbell

I even tried a rack pull...set the barbell in place, obviously on the rack at the lowest (set point of the non-adjustable rack) only to find it was well above my full standing deadlift height...so, not much good there either.

With the cleaning the weight from the floor, I wouldn't mind so much but I figured a gym was so that you had more options not to have to do that...thankfully, I can now do the front squats at home with impromtu adjustable safety bars; giving me more options than the Fitness Centre.