Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

I don't think we have PF in Australia, but many gyms are similar. Gyms become like this because of member demands. Let's take the example of a single 4hr shift I did this last Sunday.

"Kyle can you turn the music up? I'm pounding on the treadmill and can't hear it."
"Kyle can you turn the music down? I got off the treadmill and now it's awfully loud."
"Kyle this music is dreadful, so unmotivating. Something more energetic! No don't play that doof-doof music, also it has rude words."

"Kyle what's the best exercise to deal with this?" grabs belly fat.
"The Dinner Table Push-Away." They never get it.

"Kyle we have run out of paper towels, I have to clean the treadmill, all these other people have germs!"
I like that one. While desperately spraying and wiping down the treadmill before you touch its icky handles, have a think about the dumbbells you were just using. When was the last time you cleaned a dumbbell handle? Now think of all the men who've been to the toilet, not washed their hands afterwards, and used that dumbbell. And yet somehow you have not died, Mr OCD.

Member falls down on the treadmill and face-plants, blood everywhere.
"I've broken my nose! I'm going to sue!"
"How did you fall, ma'am?"
"I was running at 18ks, dropped my towel and reached down to pick it up. This treadmill is unsafe, I'm going to sue."
Time to fill in an Incident Report. I leave it up to the Duty Manager.

"Excuse me sir, I strongly recommend you not do that exercise."
"Why?"
"You're doing dumbbell bench press on a swiss ball. You must weigh, what, 80kg?"
"Yeah."
"And you have a pair of 35kg dumbbells. So that's 150kg of force going through that swiss ball. If you put 150kg of weight plates on that ball, what would you expect to happen?"
"It'll burst."
"This is why I strongly recommend you not do this exercise."
"I'll be alright."

And my favourite exchange,
"Kyle can you come and change the channel on the tv in the cardio room?"
"I'm doing a personal training session at the moment, sir, I'll be with you in five minutes."
"Five minutes! My programme will be over then."

By contrast, exactly zero people asked me how to improve their barbell back squat form. Or even how to bench and curl better.

Planet Fitness is the way it is because some customers demanded that it be that way.