View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
That's what I'm here for. I would love to get an extra 20 lbs on bench. Whatcha got?
Well right now you're benching completely flat backed. That is not only increasing your range of motion, but also providing some extra wear and tear on your shoulders.

Another thing is that you are benching arms flared, which also limits weight and stresses shoulders. Try grabbing the bar as tightly as possible and try benching it it inward from the ends are you lower the bar. This will help keep your elbows in a more tucked position, and you'll improve your strength.

Another quick tip...row the bar down. This will help keep the back tight. You want a tight, stable platform. Loose lats will also inhibit your pressing strength. Lats are an integral part of the press.

I also see your feet moving around during the actual press. This is a sign that your legs are not tight. You need a nice tight setup/base. Once you have it, drive your heels down when pressing. This will help not only your strength, but also help prevent a lot of that leg wobble/instability.

I'm sure some of the other guys here could go into more detail. So if interest, start a thread with the video. We have some world record holders here (Roger Ryan) and a lot of experienced powerlifters who could give you plenty of other tips.

I hate to log dump info, so I hope that was helpful somewhat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote