BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

This is just my opinion.
There are 3 things I think you may want to consider.
1.) You may want to consider doing this lift standing. Doing the lift standing makes this lift a "core stablization" (for lack of a better term)assitance lift as well as a pushing movement. Jim Wendler, the author of 5/3/1 is pretty clear that standing is the way he meant this movement to be done. There are benefits to OHPing standing that you lose when doing seated.
2.) Your grip width is a bit on the wide side. I would consider bringing it in. The wider you go the more you lose the mechanical advantage and put your shoulders at risk for injury. You may consider using a grip width where the thumb side of your hands is just outside your shoulders or somewhere about there. This is also how both Wendler and Rippetoe teach the lift.
3.) Your ROM is short. The lift should be done starting from the front deltoids. It looks like you are only lowering down to the top of your neck. Once again, this is how both Wendler and Rippetoe teach this lift. Starting from the front delts and ending on the front delts.

Numbers 2 and 3 I believe will actually make you more efficent at the lift and have carry over to your bench press.

These are just recommendations and my opinion. You very well may have legit reason for doing it the way you currently are.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 10-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote