View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think we can all agree that progression of weight and reps is intertwined. You perform more reps with 400, your lift max goes up. You start to lift more weight than 400, and the number of reps you can do with 400 goes up.

The question is, in a general sense...can you gain size from lower rep sets, and can you gain strength from higher rep sets?

We agree that there are numerous training variables. I would like to keep this conversation grounded in a more generalized context - one that the average lifter can connect with. I think it's fairly safe to say that most lifters don't progress in reduced rest periods, TUT, etc. These progressional tactics may be used from time to time for various reasons, but they are rarely staples for the average powerlifter or bodybuilder.

Let's take 2 beginners...Lifter A and Lifter B. They are twins. We have them eat 500 cals above calorie maintenance for 5 years. We also have them both use the same split.

Lifter A performs compound lifts in the 8 to 12 rep range, and focuses on progression.

Lifter B performs compound lifts in the 1 to 5 rep range, and focuses on progression.

At the end of 5 years will they have equal strength and muscle mass?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote