Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I mean why do you have to bastardize your motion in order to accomodate this activity? Why do them at all? I get if you are hamstring weak, maybe loading the posterior is a good idea, but isn't there easier/better ways? Good Mornings, GHR, Stiff Deads, etc.?
I think this is where people get Box Squats wrong, 'cos they can't accept that it is a bastardisation of the exercise. It's an exaggeration of squat form. You're wider (or at least you should be) than normal, you sit back more (made possible by the box), and typically you're more upright so you can load the hips/hams more (made possible by the box).

Just think of them like any other assistance you might do like GM's or RDL's. They're not the same as your competition squat, but they help.

In regards to there being better ways to load the posterior, in my experience there just isn't. Properly performed box squats are just insanely good and have given me such a boost

---

Edit - Just to clarify, it's a bastardisation of how most people raw squat. Because it is allows you to mimic a geared squat. So it will look a lot like some geared lifters competitions squats. But even for a raw guy they're going to help, but typically only from an assistance point of view. Especially for the raw guy they just can't be classed as form practice, but they are a great exercise for the posterior.

Last edited by Fazc; 09-22-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote