View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #320
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Thanks for all the great insight and advice Alan.
I usually 4-7 sets of ab work a week . In the form of leg raises and decline bench crunches. I don't get any direct lower back outside of the squats, deads, and possibly even the OHP. Interested in hearing your thoughts regarding ab work and lower back work.
No problem Josh,
for my core work I usually get some done everyday at the end of the session…ab work is usually one from hanging straight leg raise, ab wheel, side bends and weighted cable crunches , sometimes ill throw in planks, for the lower back I used to do quite a bit of hypers and good mornings but now that I look back over my log I see they haven’t appeared for a while….guess I should practice what I preach!

Quote:
As for the suggestion of switching squats to the start of the week. This is actually a great idea. When I am working out 4 days a week I do them on day 2, after OHP (day 1). This may very well be having an impact. And even though I am now working out 3 days a week, this last week, due to a weird schedule, I did squats the day after OHP. This is something I feel could be contributing to my issue.
Thanks again!!!
You could be onto something here…..i find OHP very taxing on my lower back , I actually do that as my last workout of the week, its also the one I place least importance on so I never really go for the 1RM on this , I usually do rep work even on 5/3/1 day , lately ive started wearing my belt to try remind myself to keep correct form on them and I found it helps.
The way I scheduled 5/3/1 for my goals and also the way I found it works best for me is
Mon – Squat
Tue – Bench
Wed – rest
Thurs – Deadlift
Friday - Press

Give that a run for a cycle and see how things go, definitely get some footage of the squats and some of the more technical guys(and gals) here can help with that ,

Quote:
Bench Press
245x5
275x3
310x2 (Goal x1)

170x10,10,10,10,6

DB Row
90x10,10,10,10,7
Good work here , that 310 double looked easy enough for you. With a (good)spotter you probably had 3/4

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote