Originally Posted by LtL
How often do you lift in gear vs raw?
Best squat assistance for geared lifting?
Currently, I pretty much lift raw all the time. I like to set raw goals for myself with the different squat exercises that I rotate through. I rotate through the following exercises:
- Band Squats
- Cambered Bar Squats
- Chains Squats
- Safety Bar Squat
- Band Assisted Squats
- Heavy Traditional Squats
- Light Traditional Squats
This is a normal 7 week squatting schedule, changing the exercise every week. 7th week light.
In the past, I will have done the rotation with briefs two different ways. The first is to change the exercise every week and lift raw up to just under my max for that exercise, then get in briefs and continue up until a single brief max. The other way is to do the same exercise two weeks in a row, the first week raw and the second with briefs. I rarely train fully geared, briefs and suit. Iím a big fan of brief only lifting, this gets my back stronger and ready for the weights I handle once in the suit.
When Iím getting ready for a competition, I like to do more of the heavy top end overloading exercises and all in briefs. Twelve weeks out from the meet
- Week 1 Band-Assisted Squats Heavy 90-95% Squat Max 1 Rep PR
- Week 2 Chain Squats Heavy/Overload Last attempt should be slightly above Squat Max 1
- Week 3 Squats Medium-Heavy 90-95% Squat Max 1 Rep PR
- Week 4 Box Squats Light-Medium Keep the sets at 3 reps, this is a down week to get some volume work done
- Week 5 Band-Assisted Squat Heavy/Overload Last attempt should be well above Squat Max 1 Rep PR, getting close to goal weight
- Week 6 Chain Squat Heavy/Overload Last attempt should be at or above goal weight
- Week 7 Squats Heavy By this time you should be able to squat above your PR getting close to your goal weight
- Week 8 Squats Light Triples with less than 50% of your Squat Max 1 Rep PR
- Week 9 Squats Heavy Last Attempt should be close to or at your goal weight
- Week 10 Box Squats Light-Medium Keep the sets at 3 reps, this is a down week to get some volume work done
- Week 11 Squats Super Light 3 sets of 5 with a warm-up weight
- Week 12 Meet Day
As for the best squat assistance for geared lifting.
I would have to say, anything that works you core and lower back. Gear takes over a lot of the work from your support muscles so working your core will make your squat go up.
- Good Mornings
- Pull Throughs
- Reverse Hyper