View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My issue isn't so much with the hips going back, but the resulting starting position of the squat. Most of the time the head is moved forward, and with it the barbell moves forward past the center of the foot.

I tried to squat yesterday with the hips set back. It almost automatically resulted in the head going forward. I noticed it in the first couple of reps and reverted back to my earlier stance. It takes a pretty conscious effort for those not used to this, to get in the starting position with an appropriate curvature of the spine instead of leaning forward.

I believe a lot of this could be due to Ripp's videos, where he asks the lifters to lock their lumbar in a good position - often involves the hips going back. This advice then ends up getting distorted. For the uninitiated (happened to me), who dont know how to get their spine in the proper position, the set up could get messed up, since instead of sticking the butt out in proper position, its quite easy to end up leaning a bit forward. Hope I am making some sense, lol.

Going down to lighter weights, this is one of the things I am working on.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote