Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Darn proud of you. Congrats. Big step.

Also think it's wise to bank the extra weight. Louie said at some point to take your progress and get out. Better safe than greedy.
Yeah, big step. Six years in the making (give or take a surgery or some other weird layoff). Goalwise from here, yeah, 405 would be nice. Realistically though at my age, I'd be really happy with a solid 365 in competition. Like I said though, I felt like I had more in me, and we'll see if the belt adds anything. I remember jslep's comments about the first time he belted up. He mentioned something like an extra 50 pounds? Anyway, I returned my oversize Elite Economy belt, but the new one hasn't arrived yet, so I wasn't able to use it today. Just as well, because I wanted this weight absolutely raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Regarding warmups, your structure looks perfect. Enough to prep the CNS without fatiguing the muscles.
Thanks for the validation. I'm going to adhere to that philosophy for max attempts from now on. The 531 layout is cool and all, but there sure is an awful lot of volume. I may have to rethink things after Smolov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That's a big milestone! Congrats!

Great job Val!

Made me chuckle when you mentioned trying to talk yourself out of lifting. I do that too sometimes on max squat days.
Thank you very much, Mike. I've had to drag myself in more times than I can count on squat days. What is it about squat days? I think it might be the "poop factor." I was really considering the virtues of cleaning out the garage. Something about squat days.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote