View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bigmuscles View Post
1. pesticides

2. the omega-3/6 ratio is all jacked up in non-free range eggs. same is true for grain fed vs. grass fed beef IIRC (NB I still eat grain fed b/c I am cheap)

3. it tastes better (and best if grown yourself). And before you cry about placebo effect, remember - the placebo effect is still an effect!
1. Just because pesticides are present doesn't necessarily mean anything. Are the dosages large, small or infitesimal? Do they pose a significant health risk compared to exposure to chemicals from washing-up liquid, plastic packaging, particulates from living in a town, cosmic rays from flying?

2. Again, the ratios may well be different, but to what extent does this affect health? Cruciferous veggies have nutrients that preserve collagen, and might prevent wrinkling, but you'd have to eat kilos of them per day to have any real benefit.

3. But whether it's a placebo effect or not matters. If you're on a tight budget, and you're spending 60% more than you need to on organic stuff, then it would be better to realise that the difference is just in your head.

I've always believed that there are many advantages to organic food: environmental benefits, ethical benefits, preserving traditional methods and so on. But health benefits?

Many things to do with nutrition look good on paper, but when they're tested in the context of a real human being, they don't do jack.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote