Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Actually doing 90% weights just once a week now on bench, rows and squats. Second day is light inclines and chins (5 sets of 8) and lighter deadlifts now (80-85%).
Sounds good. I'm doing every other 5 days and don't need to deload very often.

Quote:
but alternating from say back squats to front squats doesn't seem beneficial for me.
I've had fronts seem to help my deadlift, but if I am going to squat, I would rather just squat. Sometimes I would do wide stance high box squats for fun. I remember someone, maybe Louie, say that training with an opposite stance can help strengthen you in ways you're not used to.

Even so, I continue to get stronger with just squats. As long as that is happening, it's all I will do.

Quote:
By infrequent deloads you mean what..once a month or so?
When I was training a lift heavy and frequently (3x a week) I would deload every third week. I would bounce back pretty strong.

Now that I have dropped the frequency to every 5th day, I rarely deload. If I feel blah I usually add an extra day or two of rest in. I probably should deload once a month just for good measure, but...if training is going good, why change things.

Quote:
Also I wonder if going from 90% weights on full squats to say sets of 3-5 on half squats effectively deloads you from the 90%+ weights?
I would say so. Nothing matches up to the intensity of 90% squat singles for me.

Quote:
Same with lockouts on bench; would a 5x5 on board presses be effective to not overtrain on 90% weights on a full range bench?
I think that variation would work nice as a working deload, or a moderate day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links