Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
With that thought in mind, what the the possible pros and cons to eating fewer grams of protein?
Well there are some very controversial pro's to eating less protein per day, at least temporarily. However I'll say this right now, I'm not completely convinced of those reasons just yet. If you want more info check out Brad Pilon's Protein book.

What I was actually referring to was more along the lines of further questioning the value of eating more protein, (as opposed to the value of eating less, which is debatable). Most studies done looking at protein intake use protein synthesis to determine muscle gain. Increased protein synthesis is used as a marker for increased muscle growth. To actually test for increased muscle growth accurately is out of our reach on a micro level. However, and as Layne states, these are just markers. It's correlation and not necessarily causation. Protein synthesis happens all the time. Protein from various areas in the body are constantly being moved around the body and it is reasonable to assume it happens more in the period after training. This doesn't necessarily point to increased protein synthesis being a reliable indicator of increased muscle growth and neither for increased protein intakes to increase protein synthesis which in turn increases muscle growth. Unless a study specifically looks at increased muscle growth, and is done so with an accurate and reliable methodology, it is all just correlation and it is worth bearing that in mind.

Last edited by Fazc; 08-24-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote