Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Thanks Faz that makes sense. Mind you I'm coming from a very different place then you are now which is a major reason a pure westside approach doesn't appeal to me as much. I won't likely ever compete in PLing. My benches are fairly wide (by close grip powerlifting standards), my squats are high bar olympic ATG and my deads are conventional.

Right now I'm using it on benches with a slight decline and full back squats. Without presses as a focus on the second day I'm free to use that day for more assistance as need be. It's in this way I experimented before with doing DE benches on the second day but switched to light rep work (4 sets of 10) the second day and didn't notice a difference in results.

But in my case, where my focus isn't so much on tricep and lockout strength or shirted benching, the singles and fives day is very similar to westside's ME day it's just the additional volume work is done on benching rather than tricep/lockout work. My second day, however, lends itself to much adaptation and experimentation for whatever is needed. I could even add extensions on the heavy day if it would help...just being very careful about recovery right now.
Jay, I think you're projecting WSB to me. I'm not suggesting you do WSB or that you concentrate on lockout strength and equipped lifting.

I do think, and I reiterate, when gains started to dry up for me. I should have lowered the intensity and concentrate on some assistance. I had greased the groove for 5-6 years and there was very little else to be gained from that approach for me, at the time.

I think you really need to analyse your own lifts and see what needs improving. The biggest improvement for me recently has been form as well as correcting some weaknesses.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote