View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post

It made me wonder: In their instances, does having such a strong base for pressing (back) with strong arms/shoulders reduce the amount of work the pecs have to do and, therefore, make chest development more difficult?

If that is the case, are there specific exercises people would suggest to alleviate the imbalance?
Interesting question. My guess is that strong front delts and triceps might play a big role. I am shoulder and tricep strong, chest small myself. That's one possibility.

Another point that's worth talking about is that I don't see too many natural bodybuilders with aesthetically gifted thick, full chests. I think it's kind of like a bicep peak. A lot of guys have that small slab. These small slabs always look better during a side chest pose, but usually are kind of average looking when relaxed.

Anyway, I'm no expert on building the chest. I always felt my chest work more during exercises like dumbbell presses. If I were training for sheer size I would probably be doing something like a 5x10 with dumbbell presses, dips, and maybe a little heavy pressing to keep the strength up. But that's just me. Not sure if that would actually work effectively or not.

I would look for exercises the lifter can really feel the chest working on, and then add some volume on them.

Back to flat pecs, Dave Tate is a good example. Not sure what this means, but...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote