With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If the goal is to be Elite in your sport, you don't have time for wholesale changes and playing around. You need to get serious, start analyzing what's working and what isn't, and change the details that are broken.

Recently I found that after 6 weeks I was reaching my peak with heavy triples on bench. I didn't jump to Doggcrapp training, or change to a 5 day split. I decided by analysis that I was trying too progress to quickly. It struck me that this approach doesn't work well for an advanced lifter. So I moved my heavy bench day to singles, and allowed for a possible 5 pound progression every 30 days.

Point being...once you build a fast car from the ground up, piece by piece, and it becomes a fine tuned machine, you don't change everything when it isn't winning races, you dial things in. It's a lot like logical troubleshooting.
Agreed. Which is why I favor a fluid approach to training.

As an example: I've recently been finding that my previous approach to smashing singles in the back squat is starting to stagnate somewhat. While I can work up fairly heavy in short order, it just seems to sap my energy for other lifts doing it that way.

Since I lift for overall strength, I'll be concentrating on pulls (my strong point) more and trying out Zercher lifts, front squats, etc because I have no inhibitions about dropping a certain lift/loading protocol that is not working.

You have to adapt, or you will be stuck in a rut.