View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

Why do you think is so Jeremy Clarkson is so popular in the UK? He's an abrupt, unintelligent simpleton who has an opinion on everything but knows nothing. He's popular not because he talks sense, he's popular because he tells people who can't think for themselves, what to think.

Just quoted for my pleasure.

Do you think that lack of experience comes into this all-or-nothing thinking? I wonder if a lot of the acolytes are very young guys?

After you've been training for some years, you've invested a lot of effort into various dietary approaches, supplements, gurus, training protocols - and many of these asserted that they were going to bring extraordinary results. So you get to see the patterns emerging and to be a little bit more cautious in judgements. Maybe you can't do that without some experience. I remember being thoroughly persuaded by Mike Mentzer's arguments first time around...

The issue of science further complicates the issue. Ultimately, my strong belief is that science -whilst by no means perfect - is the best way to investigate applications of human biology (like training and nutrition). It;s the best way of establishing with reasonable confidence that A causes B. The problem is -and this will sound very arrogant - is that most people don't have a clue how science works. They think that a single published study establishes a conclusion. This is very far from the truth. Science works through a gradual accumulation of evidence. Findings need to be consistently repeated before the finding is considered robust. And studies need to be assessed on the quality of their evidence.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote