Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I was told it has something to do with there not being one main international federation that everyone recognizes. I have no idea if this is true -- just what I've heard.
I think that could be part of it, but that's only really an issue in the States where Powerlifting is very fragmented. Across the rest of the world the IPF is fairly well recognised as the federation that would be chosen for this kind of thing. That has changed in recent years even in the UK as we have 3 new feds in the past 6 years, but these arguments were going on well before that happened. I think the real issue is that there is already a static barbell sport in the Olympics. Having two would be too similar.

(I'm for more federations, by the way. I don't agree with the stance that the IPF has over equipment. )

I think Strongman has a much better chance of getting into the Olympics. At least in the UK, the Olympics have already authorised their name to be used as part of a series of 'Olympic Strongman' competitions lined up for the next year. So that's a big boon for them and a very positive nod in that direction. We may even see Strongman as a guest sport in the next Olympics if this is any indication.

Bodybuilding as well is sufficiently different to warrant inclusion, in my opinion.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote