View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The 3 substantial differences that prevent me from being a fan of Stronglifts over Starting Strength are:

1) Too much squat volume. I believe Stronglifts has 15 working sets per week. I don't, in any way, believe this is necessary for beginners looking to build strength and muscle.

2) Diet. As far as I know the Stronglifts' website is also focused on losing fat while building strength and muscle. If you are looking to build raw strength and muscle, the extra calories from Starting Strength will take you there more quickly.

3) Mediocrity. I believe that the Stronglift community standards are rather mediocre compared to the strength standards detailed by Mark Rippetoe. I spent time on the Stronglift forum back in the day and I don't recall many 300 squats or 400 deadlifts. I just think in general the expectations are lower because of the community base, no offense meant, certainly. It's just a younger, less experienced community.

Please correct me if I am off the mark on any of these points.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote