Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
A typical response that I read often is that lifting to heavy to soon leads to serious form issues. The E guru's warn of the to be feared, rounded back issue.

I think it's blown out of proportion myself. Do you think Cavemen worried about form when they caught females and slung them over thdeir shoulders?

Heck no! They just picked them up, and carried them home. They of course had to drag the bigger ones. This has evelved into todays current strongman competition. Except they don't use women any more.
I mostly agree, but most cavemen led a rigorous life from day one and did the equivalent of hard training every day their entire lives. The average client, couch potato or newb often does not have the physical base to jump into deadlifts.

I thought I did and still blew out two discs squatting 200#. If I had a good base, then form was the issue. If my form was good then I didn't have the core strength. (In my case, I rounded at the bottom of an ATG squat due to poor hip mobility.)

My point is, before we assume too much, ask yourself if you want to prescribe an exercise intensity that puts someone into the hospital?

Of course, the better answer is too err on the side of caution and work up through a scheduled progression. That will provide safer more rewarding training for all new lifters. Some lifters could make bigger jumps, but some can't. Can you tell the difference at a glance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I think 135 is a great starting point. Any less than that can be put in the racks, but most people I have seen are fine starting with 135. I personally think it is a good idea to squat for a little while before deadlifting. Once you have pretty good squat form, then learn the deadlift. I don;t like to teach serious beginners too much at one time, focus on one thing at a time. Once they have squatted a little bit, then deadlifting 135 probably will not be a problem. Form first and then they can move up in weight.

Maybe this is just the way I learned it, but I squatted for probably a few months before ever even attempting a deadlift. And then I was fine starting at weights around 185-200.
It's a good philosophy. Many would argue that the squat is more technical and harder to master than the dead lift...