Thread: Too young?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good question.

I started my 13 year old daughter on a combination of light goblet squats, push ups and light dumbbell rows. We spent 2 months or so really working on form, especially on goblets.

After a couple months I introduced some weight to the goblets, and added in a couple lighter dumbbell movements such as dumbbell bench presses and curls. I continue to hammer form, form, form into her on every rep.

From here we moved on to light box squats, rack pulls and the bench press with only a bar.

After a 6 month period my daughter is benching 1x to 2x a week, generally light and for reps. She also does light box squats for reps. Twice a month we do high rack pulls and work on hips and locking out the deadlift.

My daughter's goals are very specific...powerlifting. For your 12 year old I would probably do as many bodyweight exercises as possible and spend some time building strength and stability. Then slowly add in very light dumbbell or barbell work, not rushing, when he is more than ready.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote