View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Finding ways and picking spots to hammer hard at the most important thing and yet keep other areas humming along is the way to go.
Exactly, it's a good way to keep progress going. When you reach the end of a long cycle of workouts and your lifts are starting to stagnate, picking just a few things to work on (and dropping the rest) can kick-start some new progression. Another idea is to just go in and hit your main lifts (Wendler's Jack Sh*t template). There's a lot of ways to do it but the point of it is to just focus your recouperative powers on a select few lifts to see if you can make those lifts really special. It's not a long-term training plan and at some point you should return to a well-rounded routine.

I was helping a friend of mine with his workout when he was stalling on most every lift. After a really long cycle of really good progress on many different lifts, he was just hitting a wall and felt really wiped out. I asked him what his most treasured lift was, to which he replied, the Trap Bar Deadlift. Just for fun we dropped everything except the Trap Bar and some overhead pressing. He got rid of everything else and stretched out his progression for another two months. He ended up finishing the cycle with a huge PR on his Trap Bar Deadlifts and was absolutely excited. The best thing was he didn't lose all of his strength and muscle like he thought he would on such a limited routine.

Last edited by Off Road; 07-28-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote