Thread: Comfort Eating
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
The point of this thread is, does anyone else slip into the comfort food dungeon? Or have you slipped into the comfort food dungeon before? How do you beat this? How do you beat it forever?
I'm a huge stress eater.

I read some info years ago that psychologically when we experience stress, we tend to overeat because for most of the animal kingdom, stress is tied to not having enough to eat. We are wired to overeat during stressful times. Did I word that correctly? Who knows. Hope it makes sense.

Growing up we never had enough food, and we certainly never had junk food. When something good, new or tasty made it to our kitchen, we would eat it all. Like animals. I still have this tendency today.

My life is all about minimizing bad habits. To do so I focus on:

1) Better sleep. I go to bed the same time every night. When I am overtired, I eat. Simple as that. Tied into the stress response, no doubt.

2) Don't bring junk into the house. If junk is there, I eat it. Instead I bring in healthier options like spicy almonds, or sugar-free pudding. For every junk craving, there is a healthier option. In our household we call this damage control.

3) I learned to cook. Learning to cook changed my life. My kids now love their veggies. They ask for more cauli mash. By making every meal satisfying, I'm less likely to resort to junk. I don't shy away from healthy fats or salt. I feed these cravings with healthier choices.

4) Smaller meals. I know intermittent fasting is all the rage, and I use a variation myself, but I have found that I would rather eat a smaller meal and leave some calories in reserve for another meal later - in case I crack, get hungry, whatever.

5) Allow sanity days. Allow special events, family BBQs, etc to be free days. In the past I had taken my own meals to things like this. What a waste of time, and bonding time. We bond over food. I allow myself to enjoy the special days, and the food created by others.

So I don't always beat the junk food, but I do try to make things manageable.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote