Thread: Dump the Pump?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
The bold actually states to avoid the pump if size or/and strength are the goal.
I think (even though it doesnt mention it) it means that working out strictly for a pump is not going to yield results.(which i certainly agree)
Its pretty much written for the skinny kids that only stay in the 15-20 rep range and wonder why they never get stronger or add any muscle.

But completely avoiding any pump is ridiculous in my mind. All my movements start and end with a high repetition set. 1st set is to get blood and nutrients into the muscle to prep it for the later-more demanding heavy sets to follow. And the last set is for the same point, to leave the muscle full of nutrients after it has been worked.
I think you bring up a good point. It's somewhat difficult to avoid a good pump if you're working hard.

Some of the research behind Max-Stim training, and it's cousins Doggcrapp, C&P and Bulldozer, reveal that reps with limited rest are very good for growth. I've used this style for the better part of 16 (?) months now and I get pumps.

I dislike training with long rest between sets. I like hitting heavy weight, and beating a muscle while it's down. Mind you, I'm not trying to stump for a certain training style. I'm merely pointing out that many bodybuilding systems have pumps built into them indirectly, and they work just fine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote