With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Good points. I wasn't exactly endorsing 531 it's just a very simple example of this idea. The question for me pertains more to advanced lifters (if I can dare call myself that). I've always followed a sets across approach and believed that lighter sets could maybe build mass but not strength.

Now what I'm wondering is if 1x5, 3-5x10 could build strength as well as 5x5, 10x3 etc for a fairly advanced lifter that can't gain from 1x5 anymore.
Wanted to chime in here:

3x10 is a completely different animal than 10x3. You'd maybe do 3x10 with what...60%, 65% of your max?

With a really balls-out 10x3 day, you'd be using 82.5-85% of your max each set.

There is a huge difference is terms of loading versus volume in any training routine. Sets of 3x10 might be greater volume than 5x1, but again: different loading. The heavier load will place a much greater overall stress on your tendons, ligaments, and bones, and that is crucial.

I would go so far as to say that, in my opinion, any routine/program that stresses working muscular strength/size and pays little to no attention to the literal support cables of your body is to be looked at most critically.

(Note: I'm still not very experienced in a lot of aspects of training - however, many old school lifters have shared the same view, and I'm drawing from their observations combined with my somewhat limited experience.)