View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc
I hope BtB doesn't mind me saying that although I believe he has a good degree of mental strength, his mindset prior to our training experiment was not one of pushing himself for certain goals.
No, not at all.

I had worked progression to death using the only methods I knew, and stagnated for several years. I kept trying new things, but they were the wrong types of new things.

I will add that I was not "converted" or sold on being a powerlifter until about 18 months ago, so I never spent any real time studying the strength training side of the iron game.

2 years ago I didn't know what to do. My muscle mass hadn't improved in 10 years, and my strength gains truly hit a plateau, meaning my current method and efforts had not yielded results in months. (longer than that, really)

My "reborn" mental strength came from a refinement of my goals. I got off the fence and committed to powerlifting. My mental strength was always there, but without defined goals, or the ability/knowledge to reach these goals, I was just "working out."

Though I would have considered myself mentally strong 2 years ago, I was mentally weak in a relative sense. We all are. There is always a next level of mental strength, and we need to be aware of it. We have to prepare ourselves.

Putting 540+ pounds on your back 3x a week is mentally challenging. Putting 600+ pounds on my back 3x a week next year will be more challenging. You need 100% focus. You need the ability to stop thinking about "how" the weight feels, and only focus on the things you can control - form, eccentrics, mechanics.

This is one aspect of mental strength that is required to be successful. You have to ignore fear and trust in what you've practiced.

Each extra pound entices you to pull your mind off the things you can control, and calls for you to live in a place of fear. Your can't live in that place. If you are thinking about fear, you aren't focused on the things you can control.

600 pounds on your back might come up and it might not. You can't focus on the possibility of failure; you have to focus on proper mechanics and let fate decide if it comes up. You have to focus only on the things you can control.

Will you hit a home run? Who cares. Crush the damn ball. Do what you can. Success will come to those who work on mastering the mechanics,

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote