View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo332002 View Post
I am parallel squatting off an estimated rep max of 350 pounds, currently building from 3x3 reps almost at point of doing 3x5 solid reps with 295 pounds, last cycle in winter got up to 325 pounds for 2 sets of 5.
Good. That's a nice base strength. That helps. You are not a newb. You have definitely put in some time and effort.

Quote:
and the whole rep scheme just confuses me to the point where I wish I knew where I should be at in terms of the best progression schemes. I know that is secondary but it has to count for something, no??
Well we DO need a progression scheme we like. One of my favorite schemes simple involves doing as many reps as possible for every set, stopping a set when form breaks down, or when you might fail on every rep.

This allows you to try and beat your performance during the previous week. It's merely one example, but something like this just might be the trick to keeping you mentally in the game on every set.

Quote:
Is Primal 5,3,1 best? is Regular Wendler 5,3,1 best.
It's only best if it motivates you to train. There is no best.

Quote:
Monday: Squat 3x3/5, once at 3x5, I add wt and drop to 3x3 and repeat week in and week out.
Bench press: 5,3,1 but using 3 top sets each week and microloading
One arm row: 3x3/5 same progression as above for squat
Push-ups -finisher : 3x5,building up to 5x10 then adding weight on vest or backpack
Weighted sit up 2x12,2x8, 2x5 rotating each week

Wednesday: Overhead press 3x5 ,now using 5,3,1 scheme but with 3 top sets
Barbell curl: same double progression as in rows
Barbell calf raise 2x12; 2x8, 2xs5 rotating each week

Friday :Trap bar deadlift: regular Wendler 5,3,1 scheme as in course
Close grip bench: 3x3/5
Weighted side bends: 2x10,2x7,2x5 rotating each week
Grip work
Sandbag finisher such as carries and loading drill

Overall not bad. Do you like your progression scheme?

There are a couple things I might suggest changing, but I guess the heart of the matter is, do you like your current workout?

If so, let's just do some minor tweaks and get you moving.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote