View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I am not afraid to admit that I am still fairly weak.
Let's start at square one. Give us some specifics on about the most you've ever:

--Deadlifted
--Squatted
--Benched
--Overhead Pressed

Obviously it's not about numbers, but I want to get some frame of reference for where you are at. Some people tell me they are weak and deadlift 450, some tell me they are weak and deadlift 150.

Quote:
I always seem to get so confused and bogged down in the details
This is as simple as it gets...the only detail that matters is progression. Everything else is a waste of time UNTIL you have build a solid strength base, then some of it might gain more importance. Sets, reps, rest periods, schemes...all that stuff can be micromanaged, but micromanaging it is misguided. In the end it doesn't matter for quite some time.

What you need is:

1) Progression.
2) Persistence.
3) A reasonable program.

The magic is NOT in the program. You have to toss that out of your mind. Most good programs will get you where you want to go.

Quote:
It seems like a nasty cycle for me.
My advice...pick a program, commit to it for 6 months, log it, and ask for some guys on the forum to hold you accountable. What you're going through is one of the worst things a trainee can do to halt gains.

Progression is important, not program. Most good programs have the same lifts. Rep schemes are not important, progression is.

Quote:
My goals are simple, I just want to get a lot stronger in the big compound lifts, namely the squat, trap bar deadlift, bench and seated thick bar press from rack which I love doing.
Good goals. Achieve them one more rep at a time.

Quote:
One of my biggest questions is my programming? Currently, I cycle my workout over a 3 to 4 week wave or mesocycle. Week 1 is 85% for sets of 5, week 2 is 90% for sets of 3, week 3 is 95% for singles.
I want to see where your strength is at before I comment of this ^.

We're here to help and want to see you succeed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote