View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefreak View Post
My dad has not really said anything but my mom feels that I am too young to lift. What should I tell her to assure her that it is safe? Or fine that I do start body building. She said I need to finish growing first but I do not agree. Any way to argue myself out of this? I plan on lifting no matter what but would like to have my moms approval.
My brother started with training when he was around the age of 12-13, initially doing light stuff; as long as you start light and work on form by the time the next year has flown by you will have gradually built up a base of strength but also established a base of good form.

As for needing to finish growing first, I'm not even sure there are any studies which prove one way or the other that lifting is bad, as long as it's done sensibly and not pushed beyond what a person is ready for. My brother was tall anyway, so it didn't really matter, I guess; but he still grew and hasn't had any issues from training so young.

The funny thing is, kids/teens could have part-time jobs (not sure what the law is nowadays) where they had to lift goods and they play and wrestle, all of which employs a degree of strength and lifting skills...all that weight training itself would do is teach you to correctly use the body when doing such lifts and may even end up protecting you from the odd injury.

There are also plenty of Olympic lifters, from the USA and other countries, that start around your age and younger and they don't appear to have any issues; maybe check some youtubes out for that.