View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've interviewed close to 100 top natural bodybuilders over the last 3 years, some that chase the pump for gains, and some that don't. For the average pro who is not top 20 in the world, I see no difference in their physiques whatsoever.

As far as the top 20 guys, Doug Miller is a strength and volume guy, and Layne Norton trains for both strength in a lower rep range, and strength in more conventional rep ranges. I could also add Cleveland Thomas and Shaun Clarida. Shaun recently squatted 500x4 reps, or something ridiculous like that - at a bodyweight under 160 I believe.

I can't name any pump-centric bodybuilders that are bigger than these guys.

I was mentioning the other day (I forgot to whom) that all of the Elite level bodybuilders I know have near-Elite/Elite levels of strength. On the other hand, the pros I know who are more around the 3-4-5 level of strength have nice physiques and plenty of size, but my best guess is that they are at least 5-10 pounds of muscle behind guys like Doug Miller, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote