View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts
Default Proper form: dumbbell military press

Hi guys,

I currently have a question regarding proper exercise technique on the dumbbell shoulder press.

I used to bring the dumbbells down to the top of the shoulders and pressed them up a bit narrow to take advantage of my triceps strength.

It looked like this:
http://www.myhousecallmd.com/wp-cont...tary-Press.jpg

Recently a physiotherapist crossed my way and he corrected my for:

-Elbows UNDER the dumbbells/wrists . In my case the elbows were always behind them.
- Forearms perpendicular to the floor.
-Only lower to ear level.

Like this:
Seated Dumbbell Military Press | 2nd Wind Sports Training

-I tried to correct it this way but I have a hard time to do it . When trying to get the elbows under the dumbbells it feels like a strong stretch and its damn uncomfortable and difficult to keep this during the reps. I have the impression that i constantly have to push the elbows forward to hold the postion at the bottom of the lift.

- Also with this angle i cannot take advantage of my triceps strength to bring the dumbbells up. I am much weaker this way.

Here I want to ask the pressers which issues are important health wise. I pressed without issues 15 years this way.

Is the guy right?

Thank you!

Last edited by flow; 06-28-2012 at 12:05 PM.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links