View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've met several top lifters who thought they weren't abusing AAS. They told me how calculated and safe everything was. Then they would rattle off a list of chemicals that was somewhat surprising. One particular lifter even remarked he was "enhanced to the gills." Another was using experimental stuff you would never hear about, even on AAS forums.

Is this abuse? You decide. Some will say yes, some no...
That's the crux of the whole AAS thing for me. There's a lack of credible information about what constitues abuse.

It's really hard to get unbiased, fact-based information. There are studies that suggest even mild AAS have pretty nasty effects but how do you separate those possible effects fromthose of increased body mass, extreme diets,weight yo-yoing up and down, other recreational or performance enhancing drugs, etc etc?

We all listen more to sources that tell us what we want to hear, and lifters are no exception. If Dan Duchaine, or Bill Phillips, or the new generation of gurus say AAS are OK in moderation, that's who they will listen to. Or more likely, someone down the gym who sounds like he might know what he's talking about.

In general, I think lifters are generally in denial about the possible effects of AAS. As BTB says, everyone thinks he is being safe and sensible. They get their blood work done, and if that comes back fine, assume that AAS can't be having long-term effects. I'm not so sure.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote