View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #118
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
To no-one in particular...

Just some food for thought; Past greats like Davis and Grimeck were strength and physique champions after two short years of training. Were you?
Good question.

I vent to my wife occasionally about expectations, and lack thereof. I don't often bring this topic up on the forum, because I don't want people to think I am belittling anyone's progress. At the end of the day, anyone that lifts regularly, and with progression, has my complete respect.

With that said, I think in general expectations are too low. If I were training someone and they did not have a 315 squat max after one year I would be extremely disappointed. Yet there are forums far, far away from here where only a handful of men have achieved this level.

The bar has to be set high, because I believe it is achievable. Certainly we can't all be Grimek, but on the other hand there is little reason to aim low. If we do, the question becomes...why do we lift? We all want results, right?

When I was 18 I was clueless. Despite this state of confusion, I still managed to use compound exercises and aggressive progression to make rapid gains. After 2 years of training I had a lean 16.75 inch arm and was repping 365 on squats.

During this time I learned just how potent the combination of simplicity, progression and food was. I certainly was no genetic freak, so these things had to be the magic keys.

Food has become such a lost part of this equation for so many. But my advice in this area is often misinterpreted, and I would lie if it didn't frustrate the heck out of me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote