View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I did the barbell and dumbbell route with no bench, no safety bars, no squat stands which are the only extra additions which make for slightly better and safer lifting.

OHPs used to be problematical because cleaning a weight load every time you wanted to do either a single, a double or a set was no fun. It can set a person back, if they're not able to physically get a loaded barbell in to place to perform other exercises with a weight load sufficient to that muscle group, squats being one of them. Floor presses are okay but bench presses are certainly different in feel and ROM, obviously.

Having just a barbell and dumbbells teaches you that you CAN still workout even though you have to learn to adapt more in order to be able to do the exercises that you want to do but it also teaches you that people who complain they cannot do weight training because they have no bench, no power rack or whatever else are just blowing smoke and don't really want to lift; there is always a way, if you want it bad enough.

Sometimes, I still workout with just the barbell, me, and the floor, as in today's workout.