View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I have small hands to go with my short legs and I can't deadlift with straps at all. I've had similar experiences to you 5kg. On a few occasions, I couldn't get the bar off the ground wearing straps, I instantly ditched them and easily lifted the weight.
I could well be utilising the straps incorrectly. Also, Fazc has spoken at great length about grip issues being something of a warning about upper back weakness. He certainly has a point as my failed deadlifts have always been as a result of upper back/trap weakness.
Sod wraps and say yes to chalk I say mh:
Unless of course you're in one of the 99% of gyms that doesn't allow it
Yep, that's what I noticed last week. Normally, after a heavy set of deads I reduce the weight so the fact that it's easier without the straps isn't so obvious but this time, for some strange reason, I was just having issues getting my fingers around the bar with the straps and couldn't grip properly...ditched the straps and gripped the bar and it went smoothly; one of those days, I guess but something interesting came from it.

Have you tried liquid chalk? You might be able to get away with that; I have to admit, it's good stuff, though I was wary initially about whether it would be or not.